Thursday, March 3, 2011

Part 2 - out of the darkness

I'm onto the second chapter after spending some time developing the first. The first has a little more detail. It is clear the protagonist and antagonist know each other. He is after her and has been a while. There are clues now in Chapter 1, and some red herrings.

The scene in Chapter 2 shifts to New York in Winter. The majority is purely background. You get to know Careless a bit and her love life. She is unconventional but the man she wakes up beside is mysterious (going with a Kaiser Sosey vibe here).

I still don't have an overall plot in mind but I'm drifting towards the mystery genre. I don't plan to break new ground here, and doubt that I will, but using conventions well can be successful when the writing is of a high quality. Which I'm hoping it is!

I might post something soonish, see what I did there, when I feel more comfortable with its progression. The character intrigues me. I've never been able to write female characters well but basing it around her seems to be working. I'm using a third person narration for that reason, hiding my weakness if you will.

Plus I set the additional challenge of writing this while chatting on Fb and proof reading the manuscript (fuck that was wank!) AND the battery on my MacBook is dying so, hey, why not put some pressure on?

Might produce something good here.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment